At least 11 people died and a thousand affected after poisonous styrene gas leaked from an LG Polymer chemical plant in Andhra Pradesh’s Visakhapatnam, India. The victims were suffocating and collapsing in the streets while they were running away from the deadly cloud.
While 500 people from a 2-mile radius were relocated to another area by the authorities, the concerns about the possible long-term effects of the styrene vapor began to grow.
According to Dr. Randeep Guleria, the director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi, those who were the closest to exposure have more chances of getting side effects like damaged skin, severe vomiting, headaches, and more, NDTV reports. The high exposure to this gas, known as “styrene sickness,” includes symptoms like pulmonary edema and arrhythmia; it can even lead to comas.
However, it is unlikely that this particular gas leak will lead to long-term health damages, Dr. Guleria said in the NDTV interview.