American Midwest Suffers Cyclospora Infection Outbreak After Parasite-Infested Bagged Salad Mix Hits Shelves

0
83
Photo via Karolina Grabowska on Pexels.

Nearly 250 Americans have been officially diagnosed with getting Cyclospora infection after purchasing and consuming a certain type of “fresh” vegetable salad mix. Around 33 of them have to be hospitalized.

The product was traced pretty soon by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as the Food and Drug Administration after the outbreak had been detected. The departments have issued a warning to stay away from Fresh Express salads, which are commonly sold in Walmart and other major stores, as all of these salads can be infected with Cyclospora parasites. However, customers should be extra wary, since this product goes by different brand names depending on the store.

Right now, up to eight states in American Midwest have suffered from the Cyclosporiasis outbreak. Cyclospora, a one-celled parasite that can’t be seen with the naked eye, causes bowel infection that leads to intermittent diarrhea, nausea, fever, cramps, and more. According to scientific research, this parasite has emerged only in the 1980s. It especially loves water and raw vegetables, fruit and berries.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here